Friday, September 2, 2016

The "Oh So Horrid" Protest.

   We've all heard of Colin Kaepernick and his "stance" against the National Anthem. But, how well do we understand it? yeah, you hear it but are you really listening, yanno? The article itself is enlightening; it's enlightening us on why Kaepernick is making a protest against the National Anthem. Colin's reasoning is educational but at the same time, there are various emotions about this protest throughout America. Kaepernick says, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color... To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid, leave and get away with murder." It's really big for someone biracial to stand up for this kind of thing. His words to me are educational because he's exercising his right to the first amendment; freedom of speech, freedom of protest and assembly, freedom of belief and so many more rights in that amendment alone. If the first amendment isn't supposed to be exercised, then take it out of the constitution. I've always wanted to speak upon and take action pertaining to racial injustice, police brutality, and the Black Lives Matter movement but I've been scared to because I'm biracial. Kaepernick's protest not only enlightens us on how these problems affect people but he teaches me that yeah, I'm mixed but my skin is still colored and I have every right to stand up, demanding change. There are mixed emotions towards Kaepernick's protest; such as people wanting him kicked off the team. People believe that he should no longer be allowed to play because he's being "rebellious" to something so important to the United States. Then, others, such as myself, agree with him. I agree that America is an oppressed state considering the fact that the black population is dwindling day by day due to deaths and incarcerations. Because of the negative feedback, I'm angered and due to reasoning, I'm joyous. In my opinion, the people giving negative feedback are the people who refuse to open their eyes to the problem and they refuse to believe there's an actual problem. But joy comes to mind because he's taking action along with the protesting. He mentioned in a protest that he's donating his time and his first million to the suffering communities. Not many help make a change, they just speak on change. This article stood out to me because it's become a big controversy and him standing up for change is something amazing.

Title of Article: Colin Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem
Article By: Steve Wyche (NFL Media reporter)

No comments:

Post a Comment